...Or perhaps you ran into my classroom this morning considerably disturbed, at times shouting insults to William "the king" Shakespeare, at others wailing because you thought the 3 weeks you've spent on hamlet would have been better spent training crickets to chant like a choir of monks.
Perpare to be schooled, and meet here the method of your tutlage:
10 Reasons Hamlet is Cooler Than Us All*
- Hamlet is from Denmark. And he was an actual guy.
- The Lion King is based on the story.
- It talks about all the stupidity and craziness of everyday life that you, oh French I student, talk about all the time.
- It is one of the first books in which a "crazy" guy is a hero.
- It has the quote: "Revenge should know no bounds." And while that's not really inspiring, you can't say it isn't badass.
- Hamlet was probably about your age.
- Because he can even care for somebody as annoying as Ophelia.
- Hamlet is kind of a dork, and when Ophelia breaks up with him, he's like "no way! i liked you so much" and then "i never even liked you anyway, nunnery waif." and then "dang it, really?!? i liked you so much" again.
- Ohpelia spends her free (crazy) time hanging from flowers tied to trees. This did end up killing her though, so...
- Shakespear universally allows his jesters to tell the truth. (My favorite being the fool in the 12th night, but yorick's cameo is pretty cool too.)
And, one last attack: FINISH THE BOOK BEFORE YOU PASS JUDGEMENT.
you never know.
like some of those greek myths that are such poop, and then oh hey! great ending.
(Warning: If you do finish this and don't like it, never, ever read Romeo and Juliette.)
*i reserve the right to not believe in these at all, although it is me who's making the list.